What we do
The team also operate outpatient services at Outpatients West on level 1, BRI, Horton Wing, St Luke's Hospital and Westwood Park Community Hospital.
The service looks after inpatients on ward 23 who present with respiratory problems e.g. asthma, chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD), pneumonia and pulmonary embolus. While on the ward our respiratory nurses deliver education to patients and provide an interface with community services.
The respiratory medicine department holds the following clinics:
- General respiratory
- Specialist asthma
- Sleep medicine including CPAP review
- Lung cancer
- Interstitial lung disease
- Respiratory nurse-led
The service holds a weekly lung cancer multi-disciplinary team meeting. This includes the respiratory physicians, a radiologist, thoracic surgeon, medical oncologist and clinical oncologist, as well as palliative care and specialist lung nurses who gather to discuss the best treatment options and plans for patients with suspected and confirmed lung cancer.
Twice a week we run half-day procedure lists. The procedures include bronchoscopy, and Endobronchial Ultrasound (EBUS).
The department is supported with cardio-respiratory services who deliver specialist breathing tests and other diagnostic services.
department is actively involved in a number of COPD and asthma research trials
which take place at the Bradford Institute for Health Research's Clinical
- Dr Abid Aziz Consultant Respiratory Physician and Clinical Lead
- Dr Dinesh Saralaya Consultant Respiratory Physician
- Dr Peter Smith Consultant Respiratory Physician
- Dr Leanne Cheyne Consultant Respiratory Physician
- Dr Zelma Hall Consultant Respiratory Physician
- Tracey Lightowler Respiratory Nurse Specialist
- Peter Vivian Respiratory Nurse Specialist
- Tracey Hiley Lung Cancer Nurse Specialist
- Katie Henderson Lung Cancer Nurse Specialist
- Helen Spencer Lung Cancer Nurse Specialist
- Liz Prosser Lung Cancer Nurse Specialist
- Ingrid Madzikanda Senior TB Nurse Specialist
- Karen Regan Senior Respiratory Research Nurse
- Sonya Tetley Ward Manager
Getting here and contacting us
The service is, of course, open at all times but it may be useful to know the visiting times on Ward 23, which are 1pm to 2pm and 6pm to 7.30pm on each day of the week.